Milford Reserve Toilet Block
In 2021 Auckland Council completed a toilet block replacement at Milford Reserve, architecturally designed by LTD Architectural Design Studio with structural design and drawings by Hutchinson Consulting Engineers.
Between the 1920s and 1950s, Milford Reserve was a well-known Auckland leisure and entertainment hub, with amusement facilities including picture theatres, swimming pools and Ye’Old Pirate Ship – a pirate ship shaped building housing a dance hall, tearooms, sweet shop, a penny arcade and a restaurant. After the pirate ship became defunct and was demolished in 1957, the reserve slowly reverted to the Council park-like reserve that we know today. The Milford Marina was later built in 1968. The design for the toilet block and the adjacent playground have drawn on some of the maritime – boat shed and pirate ship features as an ode the past.